What is Praxis?
The term “praxis” originates from the social thought of the Ancient Greece and signifies a practical kind of knowledge that not only consists of expertise and capacity, but also involves the setting of right goals, to which the expertise is applied. Such a knowledge is important for all kinds of endeavors, but particularly for good governance.
Praxis Center for Policy Studies was founded in 2000 as the first independent non-profit think tank in Estonia. Initiative to found Praxis came from Open Society Institute which is run by George Soros.
The mission of Praxis is to improve and contribute to the policy-making process in Estonia by conducting independent research, providing strategic counsel to policy makers and fostering public debate. Therefore Praxis's aims are:
• to manifest crucial public policy problems in the society
• to offer alternative solutions for effective tackling of societal problems
• to offer high quality and independent policy analysis and research
• to foster public debate and civic participation in public policy process and support the principles of participatory democracy in the society
• to develop the skills and understanding of policy analysis
• to support the use of independent expert knowledge and analysis in the public policy process
Praxis vision for year 2010 is to be universally recognized as the most influential/respectable (public policy) think tank in Estonia with recognized impact on public policies in Estonia and wider Europe.
What is Praxis like?
In 2007 Praxis carried out a research amongst it's partners to get feedback for our work.
Our partners consider Praxis as reliable, thorough, independent, quality oriented and knowledge-based policy-developer in Estonia. Our partners also appreciate Praxis's ability to talk about "complicated things" in interesting and understandable manner.
In our partners opinion quality and neutral researches are what characterizes Praxis's work the best. In their opinion Praxis opens up the background enough and gives basic knowledge about the topic and is also capable of showing long-term influences.
Take a look at our annual report 2010 here.
Recommended by Praxis
Are you organizing a conference, planning training programme for your organisation or want to organize a workshop? Invite PRAXIS expert to your event!